Take a tour
invite your friends
- Select Menu -
Invite your friends
Diet Boredom - tips from Star Umbehant
Here are a few tips that have worked for me whenever I am getting bored with a diet.
1) Make sure I am not eating the same thing more than once a day. If I had some apple slice with breakfast, don't eat any for snack. If I ate chicken for lunch, don't eat it for dinner, etc.
2) Try new recipes.
3) Planning every meal of the day can make you feel like all you ever think about is food. Instead of cooking every day, choose one day a week to cook several recipes and then separate them out into little single serving meals and stick them in the freezer. This will feed you for at least a week, most likely longer.
4) Go grocery shopping at a new store and look at the shelves (except for the junk aisles!). Pay special attention to the specialty sections of the store - you will find new products that you have never seen before.
5) Try new foods. Ever had a caper? An artichoke heart? Mango? Apricot chutney? Pickled cherry peppers? ETC.
6) Visit a health food store if you don't already, or if you do, visit a new one.
7) Buy food at a Farmers Market.
8) Find some online resources to buy foods - fruits, vegetables, Maine Lobster and other seafood, steaks and other meats, etc.
9) Join a monthly service for food - fruit of the month or tea of the month, etc.
10) Join a program that sends your meal to you. If you have gotten totally bored and stressed out over your diet, this is a great way to get a break! Sign up for a two week program and then get back on track yourself.
Thu. Mar 2, 3:42pm
11) Eat on your best china.
12) Change your scenery. Eat on your porch, on a blanket in the yard, at a friend's house, park, playground, etc.
Thursday, March 02, 2006, 4:29 PM
Those are great suggestions. Thank you!
Thursday, March 02, 2006, 6:52 PM
Your welcome! I love to hear any more suggestions.
Thursday, March 02, 2006, 7:27 PM
i keep a candle on my desk. when i take lunch i get to have a nice relaxing mini meal to take away some of the stresses of my day for a few min.
just make sure to blow it out when you are finished.
Thursday, March 02, 2006, 9:03 PM
I really like to go to ethnic markets. There's a huge asian one near me, a good-sized Indian one and the neatest, most well-kept little middle eastern one I've ever seen (with the nicest help). They always have neat, unusual produce, seafood, seasonings and sauces (plus really good prices). I use the new foods or seasonings that I find there to shake up an old recipe or to inspire a new one.
I've met all kinds of people while browsing the aisles and have gotten some terrific recommendations, suggestions and recipes.
Thursday, March 02, 2006, 9:07 PM
A lot of those tips go against the idea (in a bunch of recent magazines) that says that people who eat less varieties of food (even healthy food) lose more weight. The reason must be that when you get bored of eating one food, you may still have an appetite for a different kind...
Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:14 AM
i've never heard that people who eat less variety of food tend to lose more weight before. also that seems kinda unhealthy-like your body might not get all the nutrients you need if you are eating the same things all the time.
Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:23 AM
I remember reading recently about people who had less choices at their meals lost more weight. For example, instead of having chicken, rice, green beans, and salad with all kinds of vegetables, they would limit their meal to only 3 kinds of food. Chicken, rice, green beans.
1) We all know that "lost the most weight" and "healthy" are not neccessarily synonmous.
2) These suggestions are for when you get BORED with your diet. If you are on a diet and are eating all the same kinds of food and get bored - I know I do - then here are some suggestions to help you "kick it up a notch." Then you can go back to doing the same thing you were doing before - eating the same kinds of foods over and over again.
3) Also, the last thing we need it another "diet." What we need is a healthy way to eat for the rest of our lives. If you stick with the same foods over and over again, I don't see how you can maintain that.
4) I think it is better to eat lots of different kinds of foods and vary your diet when you get bored - otherwise you might decide that you hate your boring diet and go off the deep end. You might add sveral binges and stop eating in a healthy manner altogether.
Friday, March 03, 2006, 10:45 AM
And now for a little English: FEWER choices, not "less choices."
Friday, March 03, 2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for pointing out that we are all human: I made a mistake, and you pointed one out.
I know that "fewer" should have been used instead of "less", but I had "less" on the brain since it had been used in the previous two comments. Also, I was typing quickly and didn't read my post. If I had - I would have caught it. I will do so from now on since the English police are out to get me. :<)
Also, it might be nice to note that not everyone learned English as a first language. Some people might find it embarrassing and insulting to have their mistakes pointed out, it might be nice to include some type of statement such as "I don't mean to be rude or insulting, just want to point out in case you don't know..." Unless of course you DO mean to be insulting - In that case, please keep your comments to yourself.
Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think PT is the place to correct people's grammar - save that for your children. We just need to be able to understand each other.
Friday, March 03, 2006, 4:32 PM
thank you OP for these great suggestions!
Friday, March 03, 2006, 4:38 PM
How To Lose Weight- The Basics
Weight Watchers Points System
The Fat Smash Diet
The Eat To Live Diet
The Beck Diet Solution
How To Get The Motivation To Lose Weight
How To Be Successful Using PEERtrainer
How To Burn Fat
Online Weight Loss Support- How It Works
Does Green Tea Help You Lose Weight?
Tips On Using PEERtrainer
Visit The PEERtrainer Community
Diet and Fitness Resources
Weight Watchers Meetings
Learning To Inspire Others: You Already Are
Writing Down Your Daily Workouts
Spending Money On A Personal Trainer?
How I Became A Marathon Runner
How To Prevent Injuries During Your Workout
Flu Season: Should You Take The Flu Shot?
Are You Really Ready To Start PEERtrainer?
Super Foods That Can Boost Your Energy
Reversing Disease Through Nutrition
New Diet and Fitness Articles:
Weight Watchers Points Plus
How To Adjust Your Body To Exercise
New: Weight Watchers Momentum Program
New: PEERtrainer Blog Archive
Review Of The New Weight Watchers Momentum Program
Weight Loss Motivation by Joshua Wayne:
Why Simple Goal Setting Is Not Enough
How To Delay Short Term Gratification
How To Stay Motivated
How To Exercise With A Busy Schedule
Real World Nutrition and Fitness Questions
Can Weight Lifting Help You Lose Weight?
Are Protein Drinks Safe?
Nutrition As Medicine?
Everyday Weight Loss Tips
How To Eat Healthy At A Party
How To Eat Out And Still Lose Weight
The Three Bite Rule
Tips On How To Stop A Binge
Introducing The PEERtrainer Cheat System
How To Speed Up Weight Loss
How To Get Motivation To Lose Weight
Weight Watchers: The New Science!
3 Myths About Weight Loss With JJ Virgin
Related Article :
New PEERtrainer Articles :
Why Green Tea Helps You Lose Weight
How To Lose A Lot Of Weight, Fast
5 Things You Must Know Before Doing A Cleanse
New: How To Build Muscle
What Is The Best Kind Of Protein Powder?
The Master Cleanse
Will Removing Gluten From Your Diet Help You Lose Weight?
How To Obliterate Your Limitations
How To Get The Motivation To Exercise
How To Stop Feeling Tired
Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Super Immunity Diet
The PEERtrainer Diet
Is Portion Control Keeping You Fat?
The Ultimate Guide To Dietary Fiber
P90X? Do Burst Training Instead
Weight Watchers Points Changes For 2012
Can Diet Soda Cause You To GAIN Weight?