CommunityBrowse groupsBlogEtiquetteInvite Your friendsSuccess Stories


What percentage of your daily calorie intake comes from fruits and veggies?

I just read a stat that the average amercian consmumes roughly 93% of their calories from animal or refined and processed food sources. And of the remaining 7%, potatoes make up about half of that. The scary thing is that I don't think I am too far from that.

Thu. Feb 8, 2:58pm

Add comment  
I'm a vegan. Loads of fruit and veg here! If you don't count soy based products that are refined (like soy yoghurt) and grains. I'd say I'm still about 50% actual fresh fruit and veg, if not more.

I'd be interested to read where you found this (not disputing it, just curious!) Any chance you could put up a link?

Thursday, February 08, 2007, 3:46 PM

Add comment
I eat 4 standard servings of each, which add up to 320 calories and represent about 20% of my daily intake, and this figure does not include potatoes. These are considered "good carbs" (total carbs = 50% of my diet).

To 3:46...I've heard the above statistic before and can't direct you to the source. Apparently most of our "vegetables" are potatoes and ketchup (hello, that's a condiment, not a vegetable!!). I'm sure tomato sauce on pizza makes it into the Top 5 list too.

Thursday, February 08, 2007, 6:13 PM

Add comment
I'm a veggie, tho not a vegan, and i generally eat 5-6 cups of fruit and veggies per day. About half of my veggies are steamed, the rest are raw or salads.

I rarely eat potatoes of any kind, tho I absolutely love baked sweet potato "fries."

Friday, February 09, 2007, 1:45 PM

Add comment

Explore Related Articles
Weight Loss Motivation   Sustainable Weight Loss
Weight Lifting    Hypnosis and Weight Loss
Emotional Eating   Help Losing Weight
Free Weight Loss Program   Weight Watchers Points  NutriSystem
How To Change Anything

weight loss coaching

New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:

1) How To Achieve Sustainable Weight Loss This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.

2) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.

3) What Are Your Odds Of Losing Weight?-- Take the PEERtrainer Coaching Quiz Now!

4) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.

5) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.

Related Content:

How To Lose Weight- The Basics
Weight Watchers Points System
The Fat Smash Diet
The Eat To Live Diet
The Beck Diet Solution
How To Get The Motivation To Lose Weight


How To Be Successful Using PEERtrainer

How To Burn Fat
Online Weight Loss Support- How It Works
Does Green Tea Help You Lose Weight?
Tips On Using PEERtrainer
Visit The PEERtrainer Community
Diet and Fitness Resources


Weight Watchers Meetings
Learning To Inspire Others: You Already Are
Writing Down Your Daily Workouts
Spending Money On A Personal Trainer?
How I Became A Marathon Runner


Preventive Health

How To Prevent Injuries During Your Workout
Flu Season: Should You Take The Flu Shot?
Are You Really Ready To Start PEERtrainer?
Super Foods That Can Boost Your Energy
Reversing Disease Through Nutrition

New Diet and Fitness Articles:

Weight Watchers Points Plus
How To Adjust Your Body To Exercise
New: Weight Watchers Momentum Program
New: PEERtrainer Blog Archive
Review Of The New Weight Watchers Momentum Program

Weight Loss Motivation by Joshua Wayne:

Why Simple Goal Setting Is Not Enough
How To Delay Short Term Gratification
How To Stay Motivated
How To Exercise With A Busy Schedule

Real World Nutrition and Fitness Questions

Can Weight Lifting Help You Lose Weight?
Are Protein Drinks Safe?
Nutrition As Medicine?

Everyday Weight Loss Tips

How To Eat Healthy At A Party
How To Eat Out And Still Lose Weight
The Three Bite Rule
Tips On How To Stop A Binge

PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For
Weight Loss Support

Click Here To Learn More and Join!