By Jackie Wicks PEERtrainer Founder
1 medium orange
|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
There are roughly 60-70 calories in an Orange. A medium orange contains 14 grams of sugar.
In terms of the nutrients per calorie ratio, Oranges are often highly ranked due to their high amount of Vitamin C, and measurable amounts of calcium, potassium, Vitamin B and folate. (Folate is the naturally occurring form of Folic Acid. Folic Acid is synthetic, many people mistakenly use the terms interchangably. We have prepared an article and video which explains the difference between folic acid and folate.)
Can Oranges Help Save Your Life?
In addition to the vitamins, minerals and relatively low calories, oranges are rich in a lot of different phytonutrient compounds. According to the Amazing Grass company (makers of excellent raw powdered green drinks) "phytonutrients act as anti-oxidants, cancer inhibitors, immune systemboosters, and reduce genetic damage due to pollution and environmentaltoxins."
Related: Why Powdered Greens Are An Easy Way To Get Massive Doses Of Phytonutrients
What is unique about oranges is that the high amounts of phytonutrients combine with the high concentration of Vitamin C to create a "cocktail of goodness" that researchers are just starting to understand.
In addition, oranges, (as well as grapefruit, lemon and limes) contain substances called limonoids, which have been shown in research to help fight cancer by preventing cancer cells from proliferating.
Specifically, research has shown that these citrus limonoids are "toxic" to cancer cells. The tough part of this research is that scientists are constantly trying to isolate the effect of certain substances. The reality is that they all work together.
When you eat oranges in combination with plenty of green vegetables, berries, nuts (almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin E), and low in sugar, you will be giving your body some powerful nutrition.
Context Is Everything
That said, oranges do have a relatively high amount of sugar in relation to calories. The sugar in oranges is called "fructose" and while oranges are obviously very good for you, if you are looking to lose weight you will need to keep a close eye on your overall sugar intake. There is only so much sugar your body can take at one time.
The reason we mentioned greens and powdered greens in this entry on oranges is that they provide many of the benefits of oranges, without the added sugar.
But as we note, "context is everything." If you are eating a diet that is really high in processed foods and sugars, a switch to oranges makes a lot of sense. Weight Watchers recently validated this notion by allowing higher Weight Watchers points plus allowances for fruit.
That program is excellent for people starting the process of getting healthy. For people a little further down the road, the PEERtrainer Cheat System provides for a more aggressive approach to eating healthy that seeks to bring sugar consumption way down, and green consumption way up.
last edit by
4/16/2012 2:20:24 PM
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!