|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
Calories in Indian Dal:
300 per 285 gram serving.
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Vegan
Nutritious and flavorful, with added heat from the jalapeño pepper, this recipe is an ideal choice for a quick evening meal. Dal is one of the principal foods of the Indian subcontinent where the term can be used to mean either an ingredient or the dish made from it. If using green or black beluga lentils instead of red, the cooking time should be increased by 10 to 15 minutes. Serve over a bed of brown rice.
* 2 cups red lentils
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes with their juice
* 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
* 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced*
* 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 1 teaspoon salt
Place the lentils on a clean, flat surface, preferably light in color to visually aid in the sorting. Sort through the lentils and discard any pebbles or chaff. Place the sorted lentils in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold running water, drain.
Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom 5-quart pan over medium-high heat, and sauté the onion until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom, and garlic to the pan and stir until the spices are just fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, cilantro, ginger, jalapeño pepper, turmeric and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring often, until lentils become soft, about 15 minutes.
*If you want a less spicy dish, remove the seeds inside the pepper before mincing.
Per Serving (295g-wt.): 300 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 16g protein, 48g total carbohydrate (12g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 1030mg sodium
last edit by
3/16/2011 11:13:19 AM
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!