|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
Is Flaxseed Oil As Good A Source Of Omega-3's As The Health Gurus Claim?
Flaxseed oil, like any oil, is high in calories and fat. In the oil family, only coconut oil can be considered truly "healthy" due to its documented antibacterial and antibiotic properties.
That said, Flaxseed Oil is an Omega-3 fatty acid called "alpha-linolenic acid" or ALA. There are two other popular Omega-3 acids called EPA and DHA, which are found primarily in fish.
There is a lot of debate about which source is "better" but the reality is that you probably want to include both sources in your diet.
The Bigger Point
The bigger point when it comes to oils is that you want to increase your "good oils" (like coconut oil) and decrease the bad oils. A bad oil is one that is heavily processed. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (REAL Extra Virgin Olive Oil) is not processed at all, and keeps forever.
Canola, soybean, sunflower and safflower oils are usually HIGHLY processed and are loaded with Omega-6 oils that are usually hard for your body to process. Omega 6 is an essential oil as well. The problem is that for people who follow a standard Western diet, they consume levels of Omega 6 oils that totally dwarf the Omega 3 consumption.
The Paleo Diet Connection
You have probably heard about "The Paleo Diet" over the years. It is an interesting view on what our paleolitchic, hunter-gatherer ancestors ate. In addition to not eating farmed and processed foods, the Paleo Diet was rich in Omega-3's.
Grass fed meat, which is something we advocate in the PEERtrainer Cheat System, is much lower in Omega 6 and higher in Omega-3 oils.
This is not a requirement, but we do present as many ways as we can to help your body rebalance.
We would also note that many people view oils as being health foods. It is important to point out that there are many plants and vegetables that are much higher in needed nutrients without having the dense caloric content of oil.
Related: Do You Really Need To Eat Organic Food?
Related Discussion: Is Flaxseed Oil Good For Weight Loss?
last edit by
3/16/2011 7:34:18 PM
Fats and Oils
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!