Cardamom spiced creme brulee... the not QUITE so fattening way...
|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
Okay okay.. So I know what you're all thinking. Creme brulee? On a fitness site? This girl must be insane! Blasphemy!!!
But just give me a second or two to explain myself before the jury before you condemn me to eternal brimstone (even though I'm sure the open flame would make a great culinary torch). If you're like me, being fit and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is something you enjoy. It's not work, or torture or I wouldn't be able to keep on track. Rather than dooming myself to serving a penance every time I dream of yummy sweets, I'd much prefer to adapt my favorite recipes to suit my lifestyle. That in mind, this certainly isn't something to gorge on. Almost half of the calories are from fat, and the caloric intake is almost enough to encompass a full meal. However, if you're a creme brulee fan like I am, it's certainly a nice alternative to the normal 500-600 calorie recipe. Not to mention the nice boost to your calcium and vitamin B12 for the day.
Calcium as we all know is important for the growth and maintenance of strong healthy bone structure. It's also the one mineral that most of us don't get near enough of. Calcium deficiency can cause brittle bone structure, and lead to osteoporosis. It has also been shown in recent studies that your calcium intake may have a direct effect on the prevention of high blood pressure and colon cancer. As a nice little bonus, having a sufficient supply of calcium can also make it easier to lose weight. If your body detects a deficiency, it enters "starvation mode" and packs on the pounds. That's enough motivation for me to take mom's advice. "Drink your milk!"
Vitamin B12, in combination with folic acid and vitamin B6 works to help prevent the risk of strokes, osteoporosis, heart disease, and Altzheimer's disease. It is a necessary vitamin for the proper functioning of the neurological system, as well as gastrointestinal health. If that wasn't enough, it also helps regulate your metabolism. Pass the B please!
Of course, there are much healthier options for consuming more calcium and B12 in your diet. It's a really nice excuse to feel good about your dessert though isn't it?
Aaaand without further ado. here's the recipe :D
****Cardamom Spiced Light Creme Brulee****
__For the custard:
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cinnamon stick, crushed
1 vanilla bean
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons honey
__For the brulee sugar:
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Put the cardamom and nutmeg in a clean cotton or linen cloth and tie it off with string to make a "tea bag." Pour the evaporated milk into a small saucepan. Cut off about 2-3 inches of the vanilla bean, and split the skin, scraping the seeds into the milk. Over medium heat, simmer the milk, bag of spices, crushed cinnamon stick, and the split vanilla bean until the top begins to shimmer and a slight skin forms. Try not to let it boil. Turn off the burner and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and honey until well combined. Remove the spice bag from the milk mixture.
4. Drizzle the milk mixture into the egg yolks, stirring constantly until thoroughly mixed. Try not to whip in any air bubbles.
5. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, pouring carefully to avoid splashing. Discard the extra cinnamon and vanilla bean along with any lumps caught in the sieve.
6. Arrange 4 4-6 oz ramekins in a large baking pan. Pour the custard mixture evenly into the ramekins. Pour hot water into the baking pan until the water line reaches halfway up the ramekins. Cover loosely with foil and put the baking pan into the oven.
7. Baking times will vary depending on the size and shape of the ramekins. I used 6 oz ramekins and they were done after about 50 minutes. In 4 oz. ramekins they were finished at about 35 minutes. Keep an eye on them, and when they're done, the centers should still jiggle a little bit when moved.
8. When the custard is done, remove the baking pan from the oven and allow the ramekins to cool in the water bath.
9. Once cool, cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
10. To serve: Mix together the brown sugar and granulated sugar in a small bowl.
11. Remove the custards from the refrigerator and uncover. Sprinkle 1 tsp of brulee sugar evenly over the surface of each custard.
12. If you have a culinary torch, use it to caramelize the sugar on the top of the custards and serve immediately. If not, stick the ramekins in a preheated broiler or salamander for 10-30 seconds or so. Watch closely and don't over cook or the custards will burn.
13. Bon appetit! :D.
More information on vitamin benefits can be found here:
WW Points: 6
Cal: 245 ; Fat: 11.6 ; Fiber: 0
last edit by
9/26/2006 9:56:56 AM
Best Of PT Wiki
Colon Cancer Prevention
Dairy and Egg Products
High calcium content (>25%)
No Trans Fat
So Bad, But Sooo Good
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!