By Jackie Wicks PEERtrainer Founder
|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
There are about 90 Calories in a 1/2 cup serving of Black Beans.
Will Black Beans Help Me Lose Weight?
Yes! Black Beans are low in calories, high in protein and fiber and have an assortment of critically important nutrients. These nutrients help you with your "long term hunger"- when you get enough nutrients over time, you'll feel less hungry.
They are also an ideal food to help you with your "short term hunger." Simply put, they fill you up, and crowd out any "bad stuff" you might be tempted to eat.
Given the low calorie content of beans, beans can help to quickly get you full without adding too many fat or calories to your day.
Should People With Type 2 Diabetes Eat Beans?
According to Jonny Bowden, Phd, "beans are the ultimate blood sugar regulator." The high fiber content means that they raise blood sugar very slowly.
Why Do Beans Give You Gas? How Can I Avoid This?
Beans do give you gas and there ARE ways to avoid this. This article explains how to eat beans and NOT get gas!
Do Beans Really Help Prevent Cancer?
According to a broad body of research, regular bean consumption has been associated with measurably lower levels of cancer risk.
Beans are very high in antioxidants. The rule of thumb here is the darker the bean, the greater the antioxidant power.
One study has shown that black beans contain 10 times the antioxidant power of an Orange!
Are Beans Beans Really Good For Your Heart?
As it turns out beans are good for you heart. As you can see from the (updated) calorie and nutrition label on this page, black beans contain high levels of folate and magnesium.
Folate (not folic acid!) is probably best known as an essential element for pregnant women, especially early in their pregnancy. Researchers have now been able to identify a correlation between higher folate consumption and lower risk of heart disease.
Studies have also shown that higher magnesium consumption is also associated with improved heart function.
If I Am Following The PEERtrainer Cheat System, Are Beans Limited In Any Way?
Absolutely not. As you can see, beans have some very powerful benefits. For those of you following the Cheat System, (link to download it for free) we have been creating recipes to help you implement the advice.
A new and very popular ones featuring black beans is the "5 Minute Insane Man Hunger Cure" recipe. A very tasty power bowl.
We have also created a tasty and easy to make black bean soup recipe. If you add green vegetables to black bean soup you will add huge doses of Vitamin A, C and K, which will round out the nutrients. Note that Black Beans and Greens all have measurable amounts of Calcium in them. As you layer in these ingredients together, you'll start to give your body literally everything it needs.
This entry is created, edited and maintained by PEERtrainer. If you have any questions, please leave a comment on this page or feel free to ask us one on our Facebook Wall. We love to hear from you!
Related PEERtrainer Articles:
Are Black Beans Good For Diabetics?
Calories in Kidney Beans
Calories in Chickpeas
black beans, water, salt.
last edit by
8/30/2011 5:42:06 PM
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!