Tofu Shirataki (fettuccine shape, House brand)
4 oz (113g)
|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
The package says:
"Shirataki is composed of thin gelatinous strings made from yam flour (polysaccharide glucomannan) from the Konnyaku root and has very low caloric or digestible food values. This traditional Japanese food is enjoyed for its simple taste and unique texture."
I discovered these at Whole Foods and bought out of curiosity, Although 20 cals for a serving of pasta seems too good to be true, these really do emulate the pasta experience quite well. They were a little rubbery and have a slight aroma, but the first is reduced by boiling and the second is disguised with any sauce or cheese. The only downside is that they cost more than wheat pasta. But great to have on hand for when you have an occasional pasta craving...or just for when you're hungry but don't have many calories left in your budget.
Apparently, Shiratiki Mania is sweeping America as I write. They are certainly a great low carb pasta. In fact, this version is enhanced with tofu (reducing the rubbery texture) but you can get pure shirataki noodles, that have even less carbs.
There are two brands of shirataki that are common here: House and Konjac. The ones I tried were House and I liked them. This dude seems to think House is better than Konjac.
last edit by
9/5/2006 9:51:44 AM
Cereal Grains and Pasta
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!