Masala Dosa with Coconut Chutney
|Amount per serving
||Calories from Fat
Masala Dosa with Coconut Chutney (South Indian)
time to make 1 day 1 day prep
2 cups parboiled rice
1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup split Urad Dal (split black gram)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
oil (for frying)
ghee or clarified butter (while setting up the final product — the masala dosa)
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon gram dal
1 teaspoon black gram dal
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 green chilies, finely chopped
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1/8 lbs potatoes, boiled,peeled,chopped
coriander leaves, finely chopped (use about one handful)
1 lemon, juice of (optional)
2 teaspoons oil
1 pinch asafetida powder
3 dried red chilies
1 1/2 tablespoons split Urad Dal (split black gram)
1/2 coconut, grated
tamarind pulp (use a lemon-sized ball)
1. For the dosa: Soak the parboiled and uncooked rice together in water.
2. Separately, soak the dal and fenugreek seeds together in water.
3. After 3-4 hours, drain and reserve the water and grind both separately in a blender to a fine paste, adding some the reserved water as needed (if the grinder/blender seizes up) until the mixture is of batter consistency.
4. Add the salt, some water if necessary, and mix both together thoroughly; keep overnight to ferment.
5. The next day, check the batter; if too thick, add some water and mix so that it is of a pouring consistency.
6. Heat a skillet and grease with some oil.
7. Pour a ladleful of batter and spread as quickly as possible into a thin circle.
8. Pour a little oil (about 1/2 teaspoon) all around the crepe and on the centre as well.
9. Cook until the dosa is done, then turn over and cook the other side until crisp.
10. Set the dosas aside.
11. Note: If parboiled rice is not available, soak 2 1/4 cups of uncooked rice.
12. For the potato curry: Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil.
13. Season with the mustard and gram dals.
14. When done, add the chopped onions, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, chili powder, and turmeric powder.
15. When the onions are browned, add the potatoes and salt, and mix thoroughly.
16. Add the coriander leaves and lemon juice, if desired, and mix well.
17. For the chutney: Heat the oil, add the asafoetida, red chilies, and then the dal.
18. Fry until the dal turns brownish.
19. Remove from flame.
20. Grind this mixture with the grated coconut, salt and tamarind to a slightly rough paste.
21. Add a little water to make the chutney of a spreadable consistency.
22. To make the masala dosas (the final product!): When required, reverse the prepared dosa and place on a skillet.
23. Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of chutney evenly all over the dosa.
24. Carefully place 2 tablespoons of potato curry in the centre, fold the the left a third over the centre, and then the right side over the left (or, just fold it any way you like!).
25. Sprinkle a little ghee or butter.
26. Roast for a minute or two.
27. Remove from flame and serve immediately.
28. Alternatively, stuff the dosa with the potato curry only, and serve the chutney as a dip.
Indian Food Matching Foods:
last edit by
10/26/2007 11:02:47 AM
New: The PEERtrainer Cheat System
The PEERtrainer Cheat System is a new, simple to follow system for eating. The objective is to help guide you towards a way of eating that will make it easier to lose weight, give you more energy and help you feel better.
It is free, easy to follow, and a little unusual and controversial. Most of all it is working. This link will take you to a blog post where you can learn more and download the 26 page PDF that outlines the system.
Click Here To Read A Blog Post To
Learn About The New PEERtrainer Cheat System
Scroll Our Facebook Page Below For New Recipes:
PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For Weight Loss Support
New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:
1) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.
2) Weight Loss Bootcamp-- This is a free 4 week program where you are taken through some of the fundamentals of how to make changes. The calls and the Tip Of The Day work together and present and reinforce a common information set.
3) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.
4) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.
5) PEERtrainer Coaching/Training Intensive This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.
Click Here To Learn More and Join!