CommunityBrowse groupsBlogEtiquetteInvite Your friendsSuccess Stories


OT Divorce and Child Support

Can anyone tell me where you go to get paperwork to file for divorce and child support? Do you have to get an attorney to do it or can you do it on your own? My now ex has decided he is ready to move on with his life but has failed to pay a dime of child support and has made no move to file for divorce. I just want this nightmare to be over.

Sat. Dec 2, 10:09am

Add comment  
It depends on the state that you live in. You should start out by googling the name of your state and words like "state court." In some states (perhaps most?) you can get child support without having to file for divorce which, depending on where you live, can be more time consuming and more likely to require a lawyer. Many state courts have "pro se" offices for people who are not lawyers but need to use the court system.

You might also google your state bar association (or city bar association if you live in a big city). Many bar associations have free clinics or lawyers answering basic questions for people seeking assistance with navigating the court system on their own.

Finally (although you might want to start here), try which lists state by state resources in a variety of legal areas.

Saturday, December 02, 2006, 1:39 PM

Add comment
Even if you aren't required to have a lawyer, you should probably have one. In my experience, many lawyers wioll give a free half hour or sometimes 1 hour consult that will give you some idea of your legal situation and what choices you have. Ask them about costs.

Saturday, December 02, 2006, 2:20 PM

Add comment
Thank you for your help. That link you provided helped me greatly. I found the paperwork I needed. I am going to try to do it without an attorney unless he decides he wants to fight for custody. He has said he won't but who knows. Right now his whole life is all about this other woman and he doens't care about the family he left behind. It is difficult to be strong but I know I have to get this taken care of.

Saturday, December 02, 2006, 5:05 PM

Add comment
Has anyone been through this, that can tell me it will get better? Right now I am going through times when I feel SO angry, to SO sad, to just wanting it to be over. My emotions seem a mess right now.

Monday, December 04, 2006, 10:04 AM

Add comment
anyone? Is everyone already on vacation?

Thursday, December 07, 2006, 7:40 PM

Add comment

<< Prev      Next >>

Explore Related Articles
Weight Loss Motivation   Sustainable Weight Loss
Weight Lifting    Hypnosis and Weight Loss
Emotional Eating   Help Losing Weight
Free Weight Loss Program   Weight Watchers Points  NutriSystem
How To Change Anything

weight loss coaching

New Services and Offerings From PEERtrainer:

1) How To Achieve Sustainable Weight Loss This is a new 12 week program that helps you solve the mental blockages that are prevent many from sustainable weight loss. The most interesting thing about the program is what participants are saying and you can click on the link to read them.

2) Tip Of The Day Weight Loss Coaching Program-- This is a daily email program that helps to reinforce fundamentals as well as gives you practical tips each day. We are getting GREAT feedback from subscribers.

3) What Are Your Odds Of Losing Weight?-- Take the PEERtrainer Coaching Quiz Now!

4) Tip Of The Day Blog-- We update this each day with responses to specific questions from our coaching subscribers and customer.

5) New Diet and Weight Loss Content-- We have launched a new diet section that organizes the growing amount of content on the site. When you click in the most important areas are highlighted.

Related Content:

How To Lose Weight- The Basics
Weight Watchers Points System
The Fat Smash Diet
The Eat To Live Diet
The Beck Diet Solution
How To Get The Motivation To Lose Weight


How To Be Successful Using PEERtrainer

How To Burn Fat
Online Weight Loss Support- How It Works
Does Green Tea Help You Lose Weight?
Tips On Using PEERtrainer
Visit The PEERtrainer Community
Diet and Fitness Resources


Weight Watchers Meetings
Learning To Inspire Others: You Already Are
Writing Down Your Daily Workouts
Spending Money On A Personal Trainer?
How I Became A Marathon Runner


Preventive Health

How To Prevent Injuries During Your Workout
Flu Season: Should You Take The Flu Shot?
Are You Really Ready To Start PEERtrainer?
Super Foods That Can Boost Your Energy
Reversing Disease Through Nutrition

New Diet and Fitness Articles:

Weight Watchers Points Plus
How To Adjust Your Body To Exercise
New: Weight Watchers Momentum Program
New: PEERtrainer Blog Archive
Review Of The New Weight Watchers Momentum Program

Weight Loss Motivation by Joshua Wayne:

Why Simple Goal Setting Is Not Enough
How To Delay Short Term Gratification
How To Stay Motivated
How To Exercise With A Busy Schedule

Real World Nutrition and Fitness Questions

Can Weight Lifting Help You Lose Weight?
Are Protein Drinks Safe?
Nutrition As Medicine?

Everyday Weight Loss Tips

How To Eat Healthy At A Party
How To Eat Out And Still Lose Weight
The Three Bite Rule
Tips On How To Stop A Binge

PEERtrainer Is A Free and Powerful Online System For
Weight Loss Support

Click Here To Learn More and Join!