Take a tour
invite your friends
- Select Menu -
Invite your friends
Why are we doing this anyway?
I woke up this morning to start logging my food and realized that it's been a while since I thought about why I want to lose 20 pounds. Why I want to look good, when I'll be in winter clothes for the next 6 months anyway (not that extra layers hides anything. It actually makes me look bigger than I already do).
Am I doing it to get compliments from my husband? Do I want to hear my friends say you look GREAT! how did you do this? To go to the store and look at a particular size jeans? To know that I can set my mind to something and achieve it? To finally look as good as I've always known I could look?
It's all of the above. This is the year that I'll go to all of the holiday parties and LOVE doing it.
Mon. Nov 7, 7:03am
Don't forget about how good you'll feel! While looking great is important it's just as important to take care of yourself and be as healthy as you can be and take care of your body... you only have one! And as for wearing winter clothes, what a better way to shock your friends and family at the amazing job you've done when it come swimsuit season. You'll be ready for it!
Monday, November 07, 2005, 7:11 AM
This is a great exercise. Thanks for starting the thread.
My reasons for wanting to lose weight:
- A nurse recently mentioned that my blood pressure was getting close to the range where we would really have to watch it.
- My waist has become too big for some really expensive clothes in my closet, and I want to wear them again.
- I saw myself in a photograph!
- I'll be seeing my skinny sister this Christmas, and don't want to invite any comparisons.
Monday, November 07, 2005, 8:25 AM
My reasons may seem a lot like those the poster above mentioned. But they are real for me, and it is important to remember them.
1) My clothes were getting tight, the fat clothes that is. The nice ones that I can't part with didn't fit at all.
2) I saw myself in a picture and thought that I looked terrible and fat. I don't want to be remembered like that.
3) My dr. suggested that I lose weight. It was SO HARD to hear him say that, but I knew he was right.
4) I never want to shop at a plus size store.
5) My mom is much skinnier now, and we were always the same size.
Monday, November 07, 2005, 8:38 AM
1) I'd like to feel comfortable in social situations instead of trying to disappear into the woodwork.
2) I really want to date.
3) Plus-size clothes suck, no matter how hard Lane Bryant tries.
4) Extensive history of bad back problems in my family and mine started even before my aunts' and uncles'. I think the extra weight might be accelerating it now.
5) I'm an alternative health care provider, so I've got some nerve not being the picture of health.
6) Jeans!! I miss them so much.
7) Losing weight gets harder as you get older. I'm 35 and running out of time.
8) Because if I don't do something about it now, it's only going to get worse.
9) Did I mention that I really want to date? lol.
Monday, November 07, 2005, 11:00 AM
1) I feel a lot better when I weigh less than I do now. I have more energy and a more positive outlook on life. I have more fun & I'm more fun to be around.
2) My health is important to me and there are a lot of problems i can avoid in the future by incorporating regular exercise now.
Monday, November 07, 2005, 12:50 PM
Oh, thank you. What a good way to remotivate ourselves!
a) I can wear my cute clothes (not the ratty ones that are falling aparts because the seams are being pulled).
b) So I can run a half marathon! (WIthout destroying any joints)
c) This may seem counterintuitive, but,,, So I don't feel guilty when I eat pie or cake *and therefore, I only eat one slice and don't hide somewhere and sneak more.*
d) So I am more comfortable around my boyfriend when we are intimate--so don't ever worry about crushing him, just about being happy.
(Don't worry he isn't pressuring me at all.)
Monday, November 07, 2005, 2:01 PM
I am doing this for
1: my health, I am going to be going to nursing school and want to be a helathy active nurse
2: my kids and future grandkids, I want to be active with them like my nana was with me
3: I'm getting married next year and want to get a drop dead sexy dress for my fiance to have his jaw drop and say I knew I was lucky before but damn she's HOT .... this is my one and only total vain thing .... ohhh and I don't want my ankles to beg me to take my heels off cause of all the fat I'll be carrying on 2-3 inch "sticks"
Monday, November 07, 2005, 2:03 PM
Yes - thank you!
#1 - my back. I just found out I have 2 herniated disks and osteoarthritis. Even though the 20 pounds doesn't seem like that much it's a constant weight on my back and every bit of it that I can lose will lessen the burder that my back has to support.
#2 - looks. Yeah call me shallow, but I want to feel better about the way I look. I've already lost some weight and the extra confidence pays off at work, in my relationships and expecially in my sex life :D
#3 - old age. Having already established immediate health issues I know there will only be more if I don't keep myself fit and healthy, and the ones I do have will be less severe.
Thanks for this thread.
Monday, November 07, 2005, 5:38 PM
What a great thread. Thank you
1. I want to be comfortable shopping, dancing, hiking, playing tennis, doing all the activities I love to do.
2. I want to be able to wear all the clothes in my closet that I love but no longer fit in.
3. I want people to tell my boyfriend how lucky he is like they used to do.
4. I want to prevent the health problems that will inevitably start to creep up on me if I don't lose weight.
5. I want to look like my mom. (She lost 80lbs about a year ago, and looks great!)
6. I want to lay by the pool and not feel so self conscious that I don't enjoy it and don't want to be there.
7. I want to be able to have fun trying on clothes in the store.
8. I want to buy something horribly expensive at Victoria's Secret and have it look amazing on me.
9. I want to fit into those little english riding pants that I've switched for sweatpants. I want to be able to wear my nice riding boots instead of the ones with elastic in the calves.
10. Most of all, I just want to be comfortable with my body. I remember what it used to feel like when I was, and it was a great feeling. I want that more than any of the other things in this list!
Thank you so much for starting this thread. I hadn't sat down and put my reasons together in any solid form. I'm going to print this out and hang it up at home. What a great motivation!
Monday, November 07, 2005, 9:05 PM
I'm doing this for all the above mentioned reasons (I swear you read my mind). Well, except #9 - I don't ride... but I would love to look hot playing outdoor volleyball in my cute little shorts and sports bra!
Thank you for such a great thread... we need these every once in a while :)
Tuesday, November 08, 2005, 12:09 AM
Added to another thread and remembered this one. Why am I doing this?
Because I want to be 70 and look and feel like my grandmother, who still works out every day. She's had such ease going into her old age and I know it's because her habits were ingrained at a much earlier age. She's a role model for me.
Saturday, November 12, 2005, 9:04 AM
Why am I do this? Great question.
1- For health reasons
2- To build my self esteem and confidence
3- To feel good about myself
4- To be able to do things I wouldn't normally do
5- To be a good example for my kids
6- To like the way I look in photos
7- TO STOP HIDING
Saturday, November 12, 2005, 9:13 AM
I'm the OP of this thread and I wanted to add that I'm also doing this so if I overeat on Thanksgiving, it will not be like other thanksgivings.
Friday, November 18, 2005, 2:16 PM
1. To be able to view food as nourishment and not as an emotional salve. When I do that -- I gain weight
2. So I don't have to struggle to find things to wear in the morning
3. Self confidence and self esteem issues
I must say, that as I sit and think for reasons why I am doing this, its really to have a healthy normal relationship with food. To handle my emotions and daily stresses in life without turning to food -- losing the weight will be a natural byproduct of improving or really overhauling my relationship with food. I already like to exercise --
Friday, November 18, 2005, 2:39 PM
Thank you so much
It's great to start this.
I know I won't be at my goal weight by Christmas/New Year's, but I know I can be a good 15-20 pounds down by then. My reasons for doing this are:
1. I want to stop yo-yo-ing. I want to be healthy and stay that way, pre-kids (now) and post-kids (later). To be a great role model for my future kids.
2. To feel confident and beautiful with my boyfriend with his friends and all their model girlfriends.
3. To get my health in order and under control, and beat this thing once and for all!
Friday, November 18, 2005, 2:48 PM
so I don't have to pick up my stomach to see my private area when I shave
Friday, November 18, 2005, 3:00 PM
1) To avoid the diabetes that runs in my family. I do NOT want to have to eat like my mom does, or take the meds she does.
2) To live longer, so I can be here for my kids as long as possible and hopefully for my future grandkids too.
3) To set a good example for my kids of healthy eating and healthy exercise habits so they don't grow up with the screwed-up body image I did.
4) To be more attractive for my husband. He loves me no matter what size I am but he deserves to have a wife who looks her best.
5) To feel good about myself and treat my body right.
Friday, November 18, 2005, 8:48 PM
Muuuuch younger boyfriend! It's amazing how much more I want to take care of myself now, and how much happier I am now that I'm taking care of myself. Guess I just needed a little push!
Saturday, November 19, 2005, 10:35 AM
because i want to feel comfortable in my skin again. i want to feel confident when i walk in a room. i want to feel strong.
Monday, November 21, 2005, 7:59 AM
1. I want to fit in my old clothes. I hate clothes shopping.
2. I want to weight what I did 13 years ago when I got married.
3. I hate the way I look in pictures (who invented sleevless dresses?)
4. I want to easily cross my legs.
5. My joints are hurting more and more (is it old age or more weight?)
6. Folds (my folds) of fat are just not attractive.
7. My oldest sister is obese - if I don't pay attention, it would be easy to get to her weight.
8. My aunt and uncle are overweight, as were my mother and grandmother. It runs in the family.
9. When I go to PTA meetings, 90% of the mothers are overweight/obese. It scares me to think how easy it is to get that way.
10. As I get older, it's much harder to stay in shape and lose weight. I feel that if I'm not vigilant now, my weight will keep climbing.
11. If I lose weight, I'll be able to run faster on the soccer field.
12. Someday I want to wear a bikini without feeling embarrassed.
Monday, November 21, 2005, 1:44 PM
1-to feel better physically, I so tired of being tired
2-to stop having shop for pants with elastic, a belted pair would be nice
3-to be able to keep up with my nephew, he never gets tired, give me 5 minutes and I'm ready to throw in the towel
4-to see a ripe old age and enjoy it
5-to be able to rock my husband's socks like I used to when I was 21
**note to the shaver** lol! I have to lift my belly to be sure I still have hair there!
Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 2:09 PM
Ahhh Nice thread
I was so happy reading everyone's posts.. thanks people
I would like to add..
I was dumped by the guy I loved .. and though he never said it, I know it was one of the reasons..
I still love him.. DUH! I am such a fool.. Do I have any self respect??!!!!
But I want to show him how cool I can be .. Sounds stupid.. even to me
Thursday, November 24, 2005, 4:51 AM
Hey to the above poster..
I have this extremely HOT guy in my office. I wanna be good enough for him.. lol!
Thursday, November 24, 2005, 4:52 AM
Seeing my folks live a dreary life with joint pains, no way I am going that path. I am getting healthy for the future.
Thursday, November 24, 2005, 5:00 AM
To be there around longer for my children and healthier
Thursday, December 01, 2005, 11:37 PM
to the "to show him how cool I can be"
I know exactly what you mean. Part of my motivation is to look totally hot so my ex regrets what he's missing everytime he sees me. Sort of a "last joke's on you buddy" kind of motivation.
Friday, December 02, 2005, 12:45 AM
to show him how cool I can be
Thanks buddy.. Knowing I am not the only one who thinks like that, makes me feel more normal.
Friday, December 02, 2005, 1:44 AM
I really struggle with this. On one hand, I feel:
1. I am a feminist and therefore feel there's too much attention paid to appearance and body shape for women.
2. I am NOT a mannequin; my clothes are intended to cover my body neatly and properly, not to advertise for a particular designer, or to show off my fashion knowledge.
3. If I am healthy in all other ways, does my weight matter so much?
On the other hand, I feel:
2. As if the 10 lbs per decade will continue to creep on if I'm not vigilant
3. Sad that making my goal weight of 120 was followed by getting pregnant and not losing my pregnancy weight very well
4. Like my eating is totally emotional and out-of-control
Why am I doing this? I don't know. I'm torn between wanting to weigh less and "feel pretty" and knowing that I'm battling a lifetime of emotional eating and the reality that I've weighed less than about 133 for about 12 months of my adult life.
And I'm having a really hard time pumping myself up about losing weight and getting healthy when I know the rewards are long-term, not readily visible, and for me (not for everyone, of course) mostly shallow.
Yet I feel compelled to do it, as if I'm not quite right if I'm not dieting and worrying about my weight. How bizarre is that?
Friday, December 02, 2005, 9:52 AM
I agree with Struggle
I've gained 10 lbs per decade, and want to lose the last 13 years worth. I've always felt fat, even when I was another ten pounds skinnier than my goal. I also know that I'll never be model thin. I'm really trying to be healthier so that as I get older, I don't have all of the health problems associated with being overweight. I don't look fat, but I know that there are more folds and bulges than there were a few years ago, and I hate how they feel.
I'm sure that a lot of my eating (and drinking) is due to stress. Perhaps if I can reduce/control my stress, I can also keep the extra weight off.
Friday, December 02, 2005, 2:56 PM
As a larger woman and a feminist, I agree with your concerns. There is a lot of garbage out there claiming that you're only beautiful if you're skinny _and_ have big breasts. So no one is happy; the curvy women wish they were skinny and the slender women wish they had more curves. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Yet I'm here too, trying to loose weight. Why?
1. According to the national instuite of heath, if clinically overweight people lose just 10% of their body weight, their risk for many health problems goes down. If I meet my long term goal, I will still be a size 12 - big in the eyes of the fashion industry, but healthy and happy in my own skin.
2. It helps me if, instead of focusing on the appearance side of losing weight, I focus on things my weight keeps me from doing. These are my goals...
When we're playing for the tavern-league soccer chamionship, I want to say "put me in captain" not "(gasp) just one more minute (gasp)". And then I want the other team to say "why is _she_ open again? c'mon, somebody's got to stay with her."
when I ride my bike, I don't want my belly fat to hit the top of my thighs.
I want to run a 7-minute mile (again)
When it's getting dark and the pick-up game is down to three-on-three, I want to be one of the people still on the field.
When my friends are moving, I want to be asked to help move the couch.
Saturday, December 03, 2005, 2:50 PM
put my in coach
dear person who last responded to stuggle,
your motivations are really wonderful. they are all about quality of life and really at the end of the day, what more do we have or want?!
all the best to you! carrieanne
Saturday, December 03, 2005, 3:26 PM
to be honest, this post made me a little teary-eyed. Congratulations to all that have goals and are working towards them.
I have been "off the wagon" of dieting for about a month now. And feel re-inspired and remember why I joined this site.
Perhaps my reasons might seem silly to some of you, or, unfeminist. but they are my reasons, so please dont bash them
1. to be able to walk into a store and know that I will fit in the clothes (not just hoping the XL at H&M will strech a little or pretend I just wanted some earrings)
2. to not be kind of grossed out by my own body
3. to meet a guy on a blind date and not see the quick flash of disappointment
4. to know that I have faced a challenge and not backed down (again)
Saturday, December 03, 2005, 11:30 PM
This thread was a blessing. I have been off the diet wagon and I will tell you that I am letting myself go. It is like self distruction. I have the same reasons it is like Sisterhood. I was laughing and crying at the same time. Thank you for the boost.
Sunday, December 04, 2005, 9:33 AM
What a boost of support and fellowship I received from this thread! Thanks to all of you! I'm 55 and am about to pass reach my 6 year anniversary of quitting smoking. Now I feel ready to work on the 30 +/- pounds that I've gained since quitting (and the other pounds I'd already started collecting). I'm willing to go slow and steady in reaching my goal weight now, instead of thinking I can lose the accumulation of 10-15 years in a flash. I'm doing this because
1. As log as I live I want to feel alive
2. I want the image I see in the mirror and in pictures to agree with my mental image.
3. The clothes shopping problem has gotten weigh ;-) out of hand -- I'm tired of taking a pile of things into the dressing room and coming out with nothing or settling on something that looks less than good.
4. I've made a very good start (15 pounds so far) and I feel so much better -- I don't want to lose ground.
5. If not now, when?
Sunday, December 04, 2005, 12:08 PM
To the person who responded to struggle:
Saturday, December 10, 2005, 4:04 PM
saw the thread why are we doing this and remembered this one. Important to remember this now...I am so off track.
Tuesday, December 27, 2005, 7:15 PM
So I don't have to lie about my weight on my driver's license anymore!
Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 9:55 AM
To be the best I can be and see what that feels like.
Thursday, December 29, 2005, 2:58 AM
I'm going through a period of low motivation right now and am wondering myself. I know one main reason at this point in my life is because I want to get pregnant and be healthy for my baby.
Monday, January 09, 2006, 8:32 PM
This is me today and I remember this thread well. I avoided it the first time (responding) but now I remember.
I want to be an active mom to my toddler and my new baby. I don't want them to see a mom that complains about being tired all the time. I want to enjoy the time I spend with them vs. dreading the playground. When I eat healthy, I feel better, I have the energy to go all day. So this is for all of us.
Friday, February 03, 2006, 10:38 AM
I really don't want to suffer from all the things that Dr. health's blog is talking about. Gout, heart disease, insulin resistance, diabetes etc
I'm sure there are enough challenges that I will have to face in my life, without my adding to them by continuing to eat badly and be obese.
Friday, February 03, 2006, 10:40 AM
I WOKE UP ON MY 33 BIRTHDAY AND REALIZED I'M TIRED OF BEING FAT! BEFORE I'M 80 YRS OLD I WANT TO SAY I WAS HONEST WITH MYSELF NOT HIDING BEHIND FOOD AND CLOTHES THAT FIT SNUG. I WANT TO BE A ROLE MODEL FOR MY 15 YRO SON WHO HAS WEIGHT ISSUES(6'1 260LBS) IT WAS LIKE LOOKING INTO A MIRROR SEEING MY BAD HABITS IN HIM. I HOPE THERE IS TIME TO CHANGE!!
Friday, February 03, 2006, 3:46 PM
Why I am doing this...
1. To be healthier.
2. To be able to keep up with my kids.
3. I am tired of having my pant size catch up with my age (I am 27, sz 18-20)
4. To decrease the chances of health problems that run in my family.
5. To be the "hot mom", or at least not the "fat mom".
6. To not be the only heavy one in the family any more.
7. To drop the "X" or "W" out of my clothes sizes (XL, 18W, etc.).
8. To like how I look in pictures.
9. To be able to share clothes with my sister.
10. Because I can do anything else I set my mind to - I will do this, too!
Friday, February 03, 2006, 3:49 PM
1) To have the energy to do what I want to do.
2) To be strong and be able to move things, carry things etc.
Friday, February 03, 2006, 8:29 PM
1. Because I want to be a parent and I want to set a good eating example for my kids so they don't ever have to struggle with their weight.
2. Because I want to be able to keep up with all of my athletic friends on hikes and ski trips, and not back out just so I don't have to worry about holding everyone back.
3. Because I can't seem to get pregnant, and I have heard that losing weight helps.
4. Because I'm old enough now that extra weight will impact my health.
5. Because I'm tired of that look I see in my relative's and friend's eyes when they see me, even if they don't say anything
6. And, I want to have fun shopping for clothes and be proud of how I look.
24 lbs gone, 15 to go.
Friday, February 03, 2006, 10:15 PM
this is great!
all the same reasons.
and I would suggest we repeat our reasons every time we exercise. Make it a daily mantra, or affirmation. keep reminding ourselves why we're doing this!
Saturday, February 04, 2006, 7:33 AM
1. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year.
2. High blood pressure and high cholesteral.
3. My doctor suggested gastric bypass. (Sounds painful)
Eighteen years ago I lost 70 pounds the healthy way (very slowly) over the course of a year and kept it off for close to four years. But I quit doing the healthy lifestyle when I changed jobs. As the weight crept back I'd think to myself, "Well, it's only 10 pounds. That's not too bad" but as I gained more weight I'd say to mayself, "Well, everyone in my family is fat. Why should I be any different."
I HAVE to do better now. The first time I lost weight it was just so I'd look better. Now, I have to or I might end up extremely ill or die way before my time.
So, that's why I'm doing this.
Saturday, February 04, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'm doing this because the profession I want to pursue is one which helps other people gain their health and help improve quality of life, longevity etc. I realize I can't help others if I can't help myself first. I really want to help others live happy, healthy, fulfilled lives. It's the first time in my life that I've ever been motivated to improve my own health (and the side effect of that health, is weight loss). It's the only time I can remember being consistently inspired to heal myself.
Saturday, February 04, 2006, 5:14 PM
Why im doing this............
I am doing this because:
I want to be that HOT 25yr old everyone talks about//thinks about when they hear about a 25 yrs old :)
I want friends and family to say i look healthy and great!
I want my hubby to brag about having the hottest wife in the room;)
I want to feel truly comfortable naked (and in a swim suit) !
Saturday, February 04, 2006, 6:21 PM
I want to get energy
I want to be happy with myself
I want my boyfriend to think I am the best looking girl around
I want to think Im the best looking girl around
I want confidence.
Sunday, February 05, 2006, 8:42 PM
Because it's monday morning and I've got to have a good week. I have a lot of stress this week and eating well and working out will make it easy and manageable.
Monday, February 06, 2006, 8:34 AM
Finding myself again...
What powerful ability everyone has to cut through the noise and remind us all of the quiet thoughts that hound us each day ... Why? is the question we cannot ever stop seeking to answer.
I guess I'd be classified as a feminst, angry that body image defines who I am, but wistful for the skinny child I was. I want to get back to the time when my thin child-body was just utilitarian, free, unfettered with weight.
I want to stop using weight as a way to buffer the fear and disappointments of relationships - it has become a refuge that keeps friends and jobs at bay too.
I want to escape the mindstorm of anxiety-eating.
I want to come back from my island...
Sunday, February 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
This goes hand in hand with the "ephiphay" thread. They are both such important things to remember.
Sunday, February 12, 2006, 5:36 PM
I'm finding it harder to sort out my feelings and to be truly honest with myself.
I think I'lm going to put down my reasons in a note to myself and re-visit them later to see if I'm still thinking the same thing!
Sunday, February 12, 2006, 8:00 PM
Why do I want to lose weight?
1. I don't feel as good about my body anymore like I used to.
2. I have fell into a very unhealthy lifestyle of eating bad food and WAY too much of it.
3. I know I feel better as a whole-more energy, etc, when I work out-I won't be as tired all the time and I will sleep better.
4. I don't fit into 75% of my clothes. I have some really cute clothes!! I miss them!
5. I don't want to wear a bikini and I am moving to Arizona where you can lay by the pool all year-round!
6. I don't want people I know to see me as that person that gained a bunch of weight and stopped caring about her body.
7. Even though my boyfriend still loves me regardless of my weight because I am me, I want him to see me as not only beautiful on the inside, but his hot woman who takes care of herself! (and hopefully I can keep him eating and being healthy, also!)
8. I want to look at myself naked in the mirror, or shower, or anytime, and not think about how bad I think I look.
So there. Thanks for giving me the motivation to type all of this out!
Sunday, March 19, 2006, 6:05 PM
I want shallow guys to hit on me. So I can shoot them down in the harshest way possible. =)
I want to feel better, have more energy, and be healthy.
I want more confidence. I'm tired of not wanting to be seen in public.
I want to see myself in a picture and not feel terrible.
And I want to fit into all those cute clothes that I've never been able to buy.
Sunday, March 19, 2006, 8:38 PM
has anyone seen the 24hr fitness tv spots? people working out, wearing t-shirts with their reasons for working out..
to see my toes,
to rehab my knee
to live longer
and my favorite...
a youngish woman wearing a shirt that reads "to find Mr Right"
she steps away and a middle aged woman comes into view, her shirt reads, "To find Mr Right NOW". she even gives the camera a little smile. such a great scene.
Monday, March 20, 2006, 6:49 AM
I want to lose weight because:
4. I want to know that I can actually make a goal and stick to it.
3. I want to know that I am in control of my body and not the food I eat.
2. I want to wear my hooker jeans again! And last but not least.....
1. Even though my husband loves my body, I want it to be tighter and firmer. After all, he saved himself for 29 years just for me. I can at least give him a great body to look at since he avoided all the hoochies for me!
Monday, March 20, 2006, 11:48 PM
I clicked replies to see which thread had the most replies and I saw this one and I remembered how much I liked it.
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 8:13 PM
I find that it is not right to put down, so i will be able to overeat on holidays as a motivation. You should not let yourself overeat ever, even if it is a special occasion. If anybody wants to change there life you should stick to it and not get off track. Why do you think everybody yo yo diets and does not stick with it, because they have that day of weakness when they overeat then they can't help but do it more and more. I think the people that put down that i want to overeat every once in awhile and not feel bad is terrible. Because if you do not train your mind to feel bad whhen you over eat you will not get very far. It is not right to make acceptions because you will keep doing it. I am sorry if i offended anybody but i was kind of shocked by that.
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 9:38 PM
RE: "You should not let yourself overeat ever, even if it is a special occasion."
Um...I'm guessing you are new to this whole weight loss thing? Or maybe you've never had an occasion to enjoy a wonderful meal? jeepers...you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment if you think you are going to be able to live by that rule. this is the only life we have. if we never let ourselves have occasions where we have a wonderful, rich meal, we are going to be pretty disappointed with life. if being a few pounds overweight means i get to enjoy ice cream, pizza and chocolate cake on occasion, i'm fine with it.
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:22 PM
I want to move ON with my life, so I can do bigger and better things than either worry about how I look or obsess over losing weight. By establishing healthy eating and exercise habits, I will make them an unconscious normal part of my life -- and focus on the better things!
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 10:32 PM
I agree that you should not allow yourself to overeat. That does not mean that you can not have rich wonderful foods. But, there is a point when you are eating that your body says, "I am full to the brim with food, please stop!". At that point we should stop eating, healthy food or not. It's a connection that every over weight person needs to make, including me.
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 11:00 PM
RE: right back to the person that disagrees with me
I am not new to this whole weight loss thing at all, i lost 50 pounds last year and i am at my goal weight of 120-5'9. I am not saying you cannot have a dessert every once in awhile, but to overeat is a habit you must change to better your life. I have lived by that rule for a year now and have not done it since, i feel better and i am 100 times healthier. I have not even gained a pound back. I allow myself on dessert a week and i make up for it in a workout that day. Why are you even on here if you do not want to change for the better and get rid of unhealthy habits? I was simply just stating the fact if you overeat on those days that is how people fall off track with there diets, why do think there is so many diet pills and neal replacements out there? Because of yo yo dieters! I think that people should make it a goal to never overeat again because it is unhealthy and uneccesary! Tell me one good thing about overeating and i will drop this all!
Friday, April 28, 2006, 1:43 PM
I agree. Eating rich foods that are satisfying treats and overeating are two completely different topics. I eat burgers and ice cream and cheese and the occasional pizza, but in small quantities, like the thin person I'm becoming. After a year of being here, the small quantities have become fulfilling. When I eat more than I need to (quantity-wise), whether it's pizza or brocolli, I feel like crap. It's easy to tell myself to stop eating b/c, although it tastes good, I will not feel good later. I'm 5'1", and just under 120lbs.
My new favorite dessert treat is the new bite-size ice cream treat - Nips. 1 serving is like 26 pieces, and it's close to 400 calories. But, I eat one or two (pieces, not servings!) and I love the treat! And it's less than 40 calories! I bought a container a few weeks ago, and eat one or two almost every day, and it's still at least half full! But, when I started out, it would've been gone in a day or two. Really, cutting out the junk at first, for me, was totally necessary. Now I can add it back in, and enjoy it more than before, in way smaller quantities!
Friday, April 28, 2006, 2:49 PM
This is a helpful tip, about both the Nips and your approach to snacking. Did you set out to eat like a thin person, or was this something that happened along the way. I would love to eat like a thin person.
Monday, July 31, 2006, 12:03 PM
my guess is the two arguing posters interpret over eat as two different things. One interprets "over eat" to mean eating more quantity wise than your body can handle, the other means "over eat" as in eat over your calorie alotment for the day- two totally different things.
Monday, July 31, 2006, 12:49 PM
I am doing this to feel better about me!
I want to look/feel better in my clothes,
Be more comfortalbe naked,
Not cringe when I see myself in picures (or in a mirror!),
Most of all, to live a longer and healthier life with my husband!
Monday, July 31, 2006, 1:29 PM
so when i die, someone else will be able to receive healthy organs.
Monday, July 31, 2006, 1:33 PM
1:33 poster... i'm overwhelmed with what you said.
love love love.
Monday, July 31, 2006, 1:49 PM
1. I am doing this to feel better about me!
2. I am doing this to improve my self image.
3. I am doing this so that my boyfriend never has to feel embarrassed to be with me (not that he would, but I'd be embarrassed for him).
4. I am doing this so that when I look in the mirror it doesn't make me want to cry.
5. I am doing this because I remember how much happier I was when I was healthier.
6. I am doing this so that I feel beautiful.
7. I am doing this because I know that I can and I'm determined to prove it to myself.
8. I am doing this because I don't want to be "the fat girl"... not necessarily in other people's eyes... but in my own eyes.
*All in all, I'm doing this so that I can be the person I was meant to be, the best person I can be both inside and out!*
- Thanks for reminding me!-
Monday, July 31, 2006, 2:26 PM
Now this is the sort of thing people should put on pt community. Not only does it motivate others, but it reconnects you with your goals, etc. Thank you!
Monday, July 31, 2006, 4:28 PM
Monday, July 31, 2006, 4:31 PM
So i can lead my family down a healthy life path not a life path that includes all sorts of diseases and medications
Monday, July 31, 2006, 6:13 PM
Dread having my picture taken, and even worse, hate it when people show me the pictures they've taken of me to see how fat my face has gotten, along with the rest of my body.
Want my clothes to fit more loosely, leave more up to the imagination...
These freaking love handles. Sweet jesus. Where did they come from? I'm not even talking a little, but two fistfuls. I need my body back.
Monday, July 31, 2006, 7:02 PM
I Don't Want to Regret the Way I have Lived my life
Pretty much I can look at myself and tell that.. hey a picture is worth a thousands of words..
I want to be utterly and completely be happy with myself.
I want to be comfortable around other skinny people.
I want to be able to fit into a size 5 someday... or 3 if possible.
I want the cute bras and cute clothes to look good on me or actually fit. (they make those pretty clothes in such a small size)
I don't want to feel like the fat person in the room.
I don't want to be there person everyone stares at in ugliness or sadness that I am fat at any party or just about anywhere (ie the family)
I want to look physically fit being able to run for 30minutes and have lean muscle all over my body..
I want to live to see myself get married, have lots of children, watch my childrens children and also after then die happy...(without dying of disease but with pure happiness..)
I think that is all I can think of for now!
Thursday, August 03, 2006, 12:12 AM
Loosing when I'll be hiding under winter cloths pretty soon:
This thought alone has me even more motivated to SHOCK THE HELL out of everyone next summer when I show up in my skinny cloths looking hot for the summer. I'm looking toward next spring as my big coming out party.. COMING OUT OF MY FAT CLOTHS....I can't wait.
I'm doing this to feel healthy and have more energy.
Feel more sexy for my husband. (he can't keep his hands off me lately:)
Be the skinny mom who is not ashamed to be in my swimming suit at the pool.
Thursday, August 03, 2006, 12:38 PM
to change who I am-- get rid of my bad qualities, own up to them, and replace them with amazingly positive ones.
Thursday, August 10, 2006, 10:55 AM
Because we we meant to move
Thursday, August 10, 2006, 11:05 AM
Why I'm Doing "This" and What "This" Is for Me:
I'm not trying to loose weight. So my "this" is to become more healthy and remain that way. Why?
1. So that I can run strong in my next half marathon.
2. To set a good example for my daughter.
3. To be comfortable with my body.
4. To live a long and healthy life!
Thursday, August 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
because we're worth it!
Thursday, August 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
bump.. one of my fav threads
Thursday, October 05, 2006, 7:20 AM
Because I'm so sick of feeling self conscious with my friends. I want to walk into a store and buy anything I see and not worry how it looks because everything looks good when you're in shape.
Monday, October 30, 2006, 12:08 PM
because i have to save myself first... in order to save the world!
Monday, October 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
How To Lose Weight- The Basics
Weight Watchers Points System
The Fat Smash Diet
The Eat To Live Diet
The Beck Diet Solution
How To Get The Motivation To Lose Weight
How To Be Successful Using PEERtrainer
How To Burn Fat
Online Weight Loss Support- How It Works
Does Green Tea Help You Lose Weight?
Tips On Using PEERtrainer
Visit The PEERtrainer Community
Diet and Fitness Resources
Weight Watchers Meetings
Learning To Inspire Others: You Already Are
Writing Down Your Daily Workouts
Spending Money On A Personal Trainer?
How I Became A Marathon Runner
How To Prevent Injuries During Your Workout
Flu Season: Should You Take The Flu Shot?
Are You Really Ready To Start PEERtrainer?
Super Foods That Can Boost Your Energy
Reversing Disease Through Nutrition
New Diet and Fitness Articles:
Weight Watchers Points Plus
How To Adjust Your Body To Exercise
New: Weight Watchers Momentum Program
New: PEERtrainer Blog Archive
Review Of The New Weight Watchers Momentum Program
Weight Loss Motivation by Joshua Wayne:
Why Simple Goal Setting Is Not Enough
How To Delay Short Term Gratification
How To Stay Motivated
How To Exercise With A Busy Schedule
Real World Nutrition and Fitness Questions
Can Weight Lifting Help You Lose Weight?
Are Protein Drinks Safe?
Nutrition As Medicine?
Everyday Weight Loss Tips
How To Eat Healthy At A Party
How To Eat Out And Still Lose Weight
The Three Bite Rule
Tips On How To Stop A Binge
Introducing The PEERtrainer Cheat System
How To Speed Up Weight Loss
How To Get Motivation To Lose Weight
Weight Watchers: The New Science!
3 Myths About Weight Loss With JJ Virgin
Related Article :
New PEERtrainer Articles :
Why Green Tea Helps You Lose Weight
How To Lose A Lot Of Weight, Fast
5 Things You Must Know Before Doing A Cleanse
New: How To Build Muscle
What Is The Best Kind Of Protein Powder?
The Master Cleanse
Will Removing Gluten From Your Diet Help You Lose Weight?
How To Obliterate Your Limitations
How To Get The Motivation To Exercise
How To Stop Feeling Tired
Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Super Immunity Diet
The PEERtrainer Diet
Is Portion Control Keeping You Fat?
The Ultimate Guide To Dietary Fiber
P90X? Do Burst Training Instead
Weight Watchers Points Changes For 2012
Can Diet Soda Cause You To GAIN Weight?